Thursday, January 21, 2010

Funny Twists

Life is so full of funny twists and turns. All you have to do is be open and go with the flow and an amazing adventure can unfold before your eyes. As most of you have noticed, I am in a bona fide “relationship” for the first time since my divorce 3 ½ years ago. I can’t tell you what a positive, fun, and genuinely good relationship this has been, so far. I have always believed that good things come to good people. I haven’t always had the proof to go with this belief but I somehow still clung to that ideal like a child clings to their security blanket. Christians call it the principle of reaping and sowing. Hindu’s call it Karma. I call it just plain fair. Life is so seldom fair, though.

This aspect of life really bugs me: The unfairness of it all. I am a lover of evenhandedness. I react badly to partiality, just like a child. I meticulously count out Christmas presents, turns in the front seat and brownies to make sure my kids each get the same amount. I guess it makes me revel in the beauty of justice even more when it actually happens in such an unfair world. Many, many things have been unfair in my life lately. Work has been an insane place to dwell. Corporate America has lost their ever loving minds. The goals set before most of us are un-reachable in this crazy economic atmosphere. They are talking about how production is up in America. That’s because those of us who have jobs go to extraordinary lengths and put up with just about anything to keep our jobs. They pile on incredible amounts of work to those who are still employed and all we can do is say, “Yes sir & Thank you, Ma’am.” It has been absolute war in the trenches to keep my job & succeed at it. It is always wise to keep an eye out for other opportunities, as well. So checking my options in the mean time has become a hobby of mine. What a relief to find that I actually have quite a few. A job is such a valuable thing right now. The prospect of being without one for even one month could be devastating. I feel this full weight on my shoulders as a single Mom.

You just never know, though, what will pop up out of the blue and rescue you from the most stressful situations. At the same time that this professional upheaval has started for the first time in my adult life, I have been flooded with new friends, renewed friendships, family, and more laughter than I have known in years. My life is once again absolutely rich with relationships. Although life seems exceedingly unfair at times, it does have this rhythm that almost has a balance to it. Whenever I feel like I am on the verge of panicking about whatever crisis may be approaching or whatever extra pressure is being added to my shoulders, I have to remind myself to just wait a bit. Breathe for a minute. Something may turn up. It usually does. This one lesson has helped me keep my sanity more than once.

So, I am going to breathe for a minute. See what turns up. Take this one step and then pause to take it all in. You just never know when something wonderful may be hidden inside all that stuff that causes pain. That’s the rhythm I am learning to keep time with in life and I am excited to see what the future holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment